Those of you who follow me on Instagram will probably have seen quite a few posts that mention the #plantbasedpicnic.
How did it come about? Well, my darling Pixie (of @plantbased_pixie) fame, had mentioned one day how great it was meeting Instagram friends and said it would be great to meet more. We had both been having a lot of people asking to meet us. Which, of course, is amazing, but there’s only so much time (and money) available to keep eating out at the pricey (yet yummy) plant-based eateries. So I realized that it would be awesome to hold a picnic and invite everyone from Instagram to join us for a foodie feast!
So, Pixie, Maxine (@GloriouslyDelicious) and I put out a call to London Instagrammers. We had a great turnout (much bigger than we excepted) in Regent’s park. We were joined by the awesome girls from Rebel Kitchen and a lot of the team from the Wild Food Cafe. Everyone who came brought insanely delicious food, and we talked and ate the day away. I seriously had a cacao hangover the next day. That’s totally a thing. Promise.
The day was such a success that we’ve decided to make this a monthly thing. And we’re going big! September’s picnic is being held at my favorite raw food cafe, Tanya’s, on Sunday 7th. Already nearly 40 people have confirmed that they’re coming (I can’t even begin to imagine how much cake I’m going to eat!) and a number of your favorite plant-based brands will be coming too.
If you’d like to join us, please join the Facebook group so we can invite you to the event so we can get an idea of how many people will be coming!
The picnics are a wonderful way to meet and connect with like-minded foodies. There’s honestly something so special about sharing food with each other, so if you’re in London, please do come!
Now, onto porridge!
I’ve really been struggling with my health over the last couple of weeks, and I’m trying to make sure that I nourish my body in the best way I know how. I usually avoid a big breakfast because my body uses most of its energy on digestion, meaning I often have to take to my bed to rest. If I’m able to do that, I definitely do porridge for breakfast. But recently I’ve been enjoying it even more for supper. It feels like such a treat!
And there are some amazing health benefits to eating your daily oats! Oats can aid in:
- Lowering cholesterol
- Reducing risk of cardiovascular disease
- Enhancing immune response to infection
- Stabilizing blood sugar
- Reducing risk of Type 2 diabetes
Once I find a combination I like, I tend to stick with it. So I’ve been having this nearly every day for a week.
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1 medium/large banana
- 1 heaped tsp almond butter
- 1/4 Tsp raw vanilla powder
- 1 heaped tsp Organic Burst maca
- 1 heaped tsp Organic Burst baobab
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- Punch salt (to taste)
- Toppings of choice. I love more banana, berries, almond butter and cacao nibs.
- Bring your water to the boil in a small pan. Immediately turn to a low heat and then add the oats and let simmer until most of the water is absorbed.
- Mash 2/3 of your banana and mix it into the porridge. Allow thickening until all water is absorbed and you have a lovely gooey banana porridge.
- Stir in all other extras. Pour into bowl. Add toppings. Enjoy!